SOUTHERN MIXED BERRY CREAM PIE
SHORTBREAD COOKIE CRUST
1 (7.25-oz.) package of shortbread cookies
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
CREAM AND FRUIT FILLING/TOPPING
2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered and divided
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
1 (6-oz.) package of fresh raspberries, divided
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. orange liqueur
1 tsp. orange zest
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 (8-oz.) containers mascarpone cheese
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Shortbread Cookie Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. Process cookies in a food processor 30 seconds to measure 1 2/3 cups fine crumbs. Add sugar; pulse 3 times. With processor running, pour butter through food chute; process until blended.
- Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes)
- Prepare the Shortbread Cookie Piecrust as directed above, baking in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine 1 cup strawberries, 3/4 cup blueberries, and half of raspberries in a bowl, mashing with a potato masher until chunky. Stir in granulated sugar, liqueur, and zest into mashed berries. Cover and let stand 30 minutes; drain well, reserving liquid. Cover and chill remaining berries (the ones NOT mashed)
- Meanwhile, beat cream, powdered sugar, mascarpone cheese and vanilla together at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon half of cream mixture into prepared crust. Top with drained mashed berry mixture and remaining half of cream mixture. Cover and chill 3 hours or until firm.
- Uncover, top with chilled berries, and drizzle with reserved liquid just before serving.